Ir al contenido principal

Post 6 - Gender roles and stereotypes

Hello, everyone! This time we'll keep on discussing the ideas we shared last Friday: gender roles and stereotypes. The goal is that you try to answer any of the questions included in the ppt or any interesting concepts we discussed from the article. The length of your posts should be in no less than 160 words. Remember to leave comments on everybody's posts.

On your posts you can:
  • explain cases
  • give examples
  • compare cultural differences
  • offer solutions
  • say what you agree with or don't agree with
  • tell a personal experience
You might find useful for your writing:
  • https://owlcation.com/academia/How-to-Write-a-Personal-Essay
  • http://britishenglishcoach.com/different-ways-give-opinion-english/



Beautiful Handwriting 

Okay, Here I go. As I can tell from the article I shared with you, any society has a set of deeply embedded values and attitudes that are believed to be right. These values and attitudes consitute the base of our daily lives. So, it seems to me that if you want to discuss any issues related to feminism, there is then a need to understand the importance that gender roles and stereotypes, in terms of values and attitudes, play in any sociocultural context. This much is true if you look closely enough at how men and women are expected to behave, dress, act, and speak in Chile. For example, you might find it utterly ridiculous, but macho stereotypes exerted a profound influence over the way I used to write by hand when I was a little child. The thing is that I used to have a very beautiful handwriting style. Another male child, who happened to be in the same class, noticed that and made a disparaging remark about it: "you write like a girl". From that moment onwards, I decided to write like a 'MANLY MAN'. You can actually see the consequence of that unkind remark anytime I write something on the whiteboard. Gender stereotypes affect people. Some of them may seem very silly, but they could constitute unfair treatment or a discriminatory practice towards anyone who wants to express himself/herself fully.

Comentarios

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

Post 5 - A photograph and its story

Hello, everyone! For post 5, you have to write about a meaningful photograph of yours. The length of your posts should be in no less than 150 words. Remember to leave comments and put up the photo. Try to say: what we can see in the picture when the picture was taken what happened at the moment someone took the picture or what you were doing at that moment  How you felt You might find some useful info by checking out: http://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/exams/speaking-exams/describe-photo-or-picture C Minor On a previous post, I said that when I was much younger, I was really into literature, especially into writing poetry. Well, so I think this is the best chance I have to tell you about it. I liked writing poems at school, but I never dared go a step further. So, I just used to write some verses on notepads that no one would ever read or know about, except the girlfriend I had at that time. The thing is that this girlfriend and I used to attend poetry workshop

Post 1 - My Autobiography

Welcome everyone to your first blogging assignment. As you might have noticed in the title of this post, you'll have to write your autobiography. In order to accomplish this mission, you'll have to include at least these pieces of information in your own creation: Birth Studies Family Hobbies Others (maybe a picture you would like to describe in connection with your life story) Posdata:  Your text should have no less than 120 words Leave a comment on three of your classmates' posts and another one on mine too, please. I was born in Santiago, Chile, on November 11th, 1983. I have three sisters. My older sister, Susan, was the first member to go to university in the entire family. Now, she works as a nurse at Hospital Militar. She's married and has one son. My younger sister, Camila, is a computer programmer and is also married to an IT guy. She works for a finance company. And My youngest sister, Natasha, is currently studying to become an